Legal Aid Ontario Ad

Legal Representation

Our clinic will open casefiles and provide legal work including going before tribunals or courts in the three core areas of law that we handle:  landlord and tenant; income assistance and immigration.

In order to have us represent you the following must happen:

  • You must live in our catchment area (see map on the Contact Us page)
  • You must be financially eligible as we can only help those on government assistance programs (federal, provincial, municipal) or who earn very little
  • It must be a problem that we deal with and that we have some experience with
  • We must have the staffing resources to take the case
  • There needs to be some legal merit to the case

If we take on your legal problem you will sign both a financial eligibility form and a written retainer form.  Often we need to have consent forms sign so we can talk to others such as your doctor.

Our legal services are completely FREE.  If we do have to pay for a medical report or for a translation of a document or for interpretation at an interview we will ask that you try your best to help us by repaying  those costs.  This can be done over a period of time.  Reimbursement of such legal disbursements means we then have the ability to help others in the future.

Everything is completely confidential.  We keep you informed as to what is happening with your file.

We cannot take every case even if it is in the three core areas of law mentioned above. There are certain cases that we cannot do, for example a problem between one tenant and another. 

Your case could be handled by a lawyer or a licensed paralegal.  All our caseworkers are regulated by the Law Society of Upper Canada and must follow their rules.